Sunday, March 12, 2017

Munga

"Munga," was a term of endearment for both of my grandmothers. I'm not sure how it came into being, but it has stuck for over 30 years. 

     This past week I missed a posting. . . for all 1 of my followers. ;) I live in NE Georgia, but attended a funeral in my hometown of East Butler, PA. My dad's mom passed away. It wasn't sudden, or unexpected, but it was saddening. So, I took a week off to pen a tribute to Munga.

     She was born in 1920. She hailed from Mt. Carmel, Illinois and moved to western PA with her husband. She worked in a hospital until her retirement and cared for two children: my dad and my aunt. Of all of my grandparents, my memories with her are the most extensive. From vacations in Ocean City, MD to walks through downtown, we did a lot together. 
     But, the most memorable thing about munga was her fostering a love of books in me. Every visit at her house, crammed with decor and memorabilia from the 40s, 50s, and 60s, was also accompanied with a myriad of books. I remember some; I've read others. But, the biggest impact from this event had to have been the trip to the funeral: across five states and two drastically different climates. Luckily, my mother in law, who stays with us and is a full time truck driver, was here to help drive. She drove the entire trip. 12+hours one way. On this trip, I also learned some very important lessons:


  • Don't be afraid to ask for help. 
  • Don't think, "I won't need to stop and use a restroom. I can hold it."
  • Don't drink too much caffeine.
  • Do enjoy the drive.
  • Do take time to notice things.
  • Do get some chipped ham when in Pittsburgh. 😁
  • Don't be worried about how MS is going to ruin your plans.
  • Don't let the MonSter take control.
  • Do take time to catch up with old friends.
  • Do remember the good times.


Most Importantly:
Pack enough underwear. 😁😁😁

No comments:

Post a Comment