Sunday, January 15, 2017

Driving One Crazy

Driving can be fun, arduous, escapist, or therapeutic, and at times one trip could easily contain all of these. But, my recent experiences with MS gave me: frustrating, dangerous, expensive, humiliating, and revitalizing.

     I started driving in 1995. Since then, I've driven from PA to MD (over 4 trips), PA to GA (well over 20 trips), GA to FL (4 trips), and several more that I cannot remember (I'll write later about memory issues). In all of those trips, I have had my share of accidents. I've totaled two cars. The first car that I totaled, was not related to MS. But, the second vehicle that I wrecked, happened because of two things: MS and stubbornness.

     For a few years, my eldest played recreational soccer (Rapids FC), on this particular day, she had a game scheduled in the afternoon, and as usual, I planned on taking her to the game and stopping for a hot chocolate/coffee and a snack on the way home. But, something was wrong, and I felt it as soon as I started to walk to the car (a mere 50 feet). However, I foolishly ignored the premonition and proceeded to fall getting into the car. Being the selfishly stoic 'guy', I decided to drive to the game rather than not going. As I sat in the driver's seat, backing the car down to turn it around, I felt odd in my legs. They seemed even more rubbery than usual. Yet, I pressed on,I managed to turn my car around, start down the driveway, and then my right leg spasmed and slammed on the gas.

     My vehicle rocketed down our driveway, banked off of a hill, and sailed over a fire hydrant. Then it bounced on the road, dislodged the right, front tire, and swerved through the vacant yard across the street. I plowed through a chain link fence, sliced up the yard, and crashed through the opposite, picket fence. I almost wrecked into the next house, but was able to steer my car away from the house and back to the picket fence. I was able to lift my foot from the gas pedal, quickly yank the gear shift into park, and cut off the engine. Neighbors came, first responders arrived, and the show ensued. No one was hurt. I went to the ER. The doctors checked me. I went home.

     That was in March of 2016. I stopped driving, and only threatened to drive when it was needed to scare my daughter into better behavior. In the weeks that followed, I contacted my MS doctor in Atlanta, told about my wreck, and set a date to be evaluated for competency and using hand controls. In a few weeks time, I was scheduled to meet with an evaluator at The Shepherd Center. I had already worked with him to help develop this test for MS patients. We both chuckled at my return and began the evaluation that included: understanding of general driving principles, self awareness, common sense, and actual driving with hand controls.

     The exam part of the evaluation was easy. I hadn't forgotten how to drive; I just couldn't use my legs anymore. After about 40 minutes of different tests: hand strength, reaction timing, visual acuity, and more, I was allowed to try driving with hand controls. Now, the Shepherd Center is in downtown Atlanta. I was instantly returned to the state of a nervous 16 year old. But, the evaluator assured me that we'd only be driving around calmer parts of Atlanta (the Governor's Mansion). After I demonstrated that I easily used hand controls, I was given a surprise: next, I'd be driving on the interstate! I survived, and now I can drive myself to Atlanta (90 miles one way) and deal with rush hour.

     Driving with hand controls has been awesome! It took some getting used to, but I love it. I highly suggest that, if you're worried about how MS (or any other problem) could be taking you out of the driver's seat, then please explore getting evaluated for and using hand controls. It's not free, but it's also not a massive expenditure, and there are many organizations that offer financial help to those in need. I'm in the process of gathering links to different sources, but the first one that I go to for information is the Multiple Sclerosis Society of America (MSAA). They're an excellent source for people in my position (living with MS) as well as those with family or friends that are fighting this MonSter.

No comments:

Post a Comment