Saturday, January 28, 2017

Alterations

     Since my diagnosis, I've experienced some changes and mentioned a few of them earlier. Here are some more.

1. Cruel Weather
     A common symptom to people with MS is severe heat intolerance. I live in Georgia, basically that means some days during the summer I stay at home with the AC. However, as bad as heat can be, changing weather is just as rough, which makes me all the more eager to move to Quito.

2. Finding Restrooms
     No matter where I go, I always make sure to locate restrooms. If I have my mobility scooter, then I hope either that it's large enough to fit the scooter, or that there is enough handrails that I can safely navigate through it. If I have my walker, then it's much simpler to go.

3. Planning More
     Spontaneity is rare. Something as simple as walking across a room requires me to plot my course, making mental notes of what to avoid. I try to plan impromptu activities, try that is.

4. Spasticity Stinks
     At times muscles in my legs or arms will suddenly flex. It can make my hands contort to look like a claw, and it has extended my legs once to slam the gas pedal. I can usually feel it coming and sit to wait it out. For more severe cases there is medication. But, it is fun for my youngest if spasticity his my legs while I'm sitting in a chair. She uses me as an indoor slide.

5. Memory Issues
     Simply put, my memory is bad. To combat the problem, I keep my phone with me and make notes as needed or set reminders for things. I would share a funny story about my memory, but I can't think of one.

6. Written Off
     As bad as my penmanship was in school, it is much worse now. I do not like to write unless absolutely necessary. Since my fine motor skills are not so fine, things like holding a pen, writing words, or even numbers is tough. On the plus side, I write like a doctor.

     These are just a few of the changes that this MesS has brought into my life. I'm sure that there are more, but I cannot think of them right now (see #5). That'll give me more posts later.

No comments:

Post a Comment