Saturday, February 04, 2017

Keep/Quit Fighting/Trying

Any combination works with those words.
     Despite living with this MesS for ten years, I still get surprised by events, symptoms, good news, and bad news.

Memory or, "Now, where was I?"
     Now, we all have had lapses in memory. Everyone goes through moments in which you lose your keys, or forget where you parked, or misplaced, "That one thing." I have had those moments as well. Yet with MS, not only are they more frequent, but also they're more severe. I don't just misplace keys; I lose them in my pockets. I don't just forget names, but I forget faces. It's still disturbing to see someone that I know but don't remember that I know. However, I am good at waiting in a conversation long enough to catch the name I'm missing.

Reading between the lines has taken a whole new meaning.
     Since high school I loved reading. I used to be able to read chapters at night and read assigned texts for class. In college I discovered even more authors, ideas, and styles. I fondly remember enjoying reading. Now, however, I'm lucky if I get through a chapter in a week. It's mainly due to my memory, but also to my inability to process properly. I don't like reading anymore mainly because it's a constant reminder of what I've lost and a gloomy prediction of what I will lose. But, I still refuse to quit entirely. I've had to read other blogs and articles in preparing for this. It just takes me longer, and often it takes me more than one try to read AND understand something.

Walking: heh. . . Walking
     It all started with a cane. Then that cane evolved into a rollator. The rollator is soon looking to become a walker. I know  wheelchair is on the horizon, but I need to win the lottery first so I can afford one. My mobility scooter still does well, and on the plus side, walking uses my arms so much that it's basically an upper body workout just to go 15 feet.


No comments:

Post a Comment