Saturday, April 01, 2017

"And now for something completely different and new..."

     There was big, earth shaking news in the world of MS: Ocrevus, or Ocrelizumab, has been cleared by the FDA as treatment for relapsing, remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS) 
AND primary progressive multiple sclerosis (PPMS). 


Why is this such big news?
  • When I was diagnosed with MS in 2007, I was told that as long I was only in RRMS that there was medicine available to help me.
  • However, if I should progress into PPMS, then the only help available to me would be steroids or physical and occupational therapy. PPMS was the 'event horizon'.
  • Now, there is a glimmer of hope beyond what I expected.


Will I take Ocrevus?
  • I am not sure, yet.
  • I am not unhappy with Rituxan.
  • I want to make sure that I have gone progressive.
     When I was diagnosed, there were four recognized medicines for MS: Avonex, Betaseron, Copaxone, and Tysabri. I remember my MS doctor saying that there would be more to come, but I thought maybe I'd see one new medicine in my lifetime. I've already seen many new medicines arrive. I'm sure that there'll be more as well, but I keep hoping for the day when I won't need any.

For more info:

No comments:

Post a Comment