Sunday, April 16, 2017

TIMBER!!!!!

     We've all fallen. From learning to walk as a baby, to learning to roller blade as a fat kid on a hockey team, to relearning how to walk with a rollator, I have had plenty of falls. Usually, as one matures, the frequency of falling lessens. But with this MesS, it's not the case. Living with MS for ten years now has taught me some valuable lessons about falling:
  • Falling hurts.
    Plain and simple hitting the ground, a wall, or someone else is painful. I am lucky that I have yet to break any bones, but I have broken: laundry baskets, canes, a rollator, a toilet, and needed stitches. It all hurts.
  • It'll happen again.
    Despite having an awesome MS doctor, access to good physical therapy, and walking aides, I have to accept that I'm going to fall again.
  • It's not always MS.
    Yes, a few of my falls were the results of MS causing mayhem in my nervous system. But, there plenty of times in which I've fallen purely by a bad chance. Sometimes MS has noting to do with it.
  • It doesn't always 'mean something'.
    Not all falls mean that my MS is getting worse or better. True, I tend to fall more as symptoms escalate, but a fall doesn't always mean it's getting worse, or better.
Some falls are worse than others.
     So, falling sucks. There really is no nice way to put it. From the V shaped scar on my forearm to the countless scars and knicks that 'decorate' my shins, evidence of falling is all over me.

But, even with a rollator I can still walk and manage to get back to my feet, but it takes patience, perseverance, and more patience. 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment