Saturday, April 29, 2017

The Second and Eleventh

When I was first diagnosed, there really were only four available medicines for MS: Avonex, Bestaseron, Copaxone, and Rebif. At that time, I was terrified of needles, so I chose the one with the smallest gauge of needle. Looking back, after all the blood tests, IV infusions, and such, I cannot comprehend being scared of needles. So, here is my second sonnet. It's a note about my experiences with Betaseron.
Sonnet 2
The Injections Begin
My first choice was for the Beta-1B:
To be injected every other day.
The smallest gauge of needles set my way.
Stories of success make this step easy:
Injections are light, side-effects breezy.
With needles all set, I enter the fray,
Shots go smoothly, and the symptoms-away.
But depression grins at me savagely.


The depression subsides  with some good pills.
The first MRIs are now clean and clear.
I begin to think that all will be well.
The years go by, with some goods and some ills.
But then, an event comes which causes fear:
New problems, and my recovery fell.1
-2010-

     Now, I get the chance to share my next attempt at creation with you. It was bad enough dealing with the accident that took me out of the driver's seat for a while. 

Sonnet 12: Accident
A wreck took me out of the driver's seat.
Months later I had to re-learn to drive.
But, I drove again; I had not been beat!
I felt like I was once again alive!

My driving skills have begun to revive 

The desire to regain what had passed:
A yearning to do more than just survive.
But a second wreck would leave me aghast.

My van has been restored to me at last.

My driving has now been fully restored.
Even though this wreck is now in the past,
Lessons from this wreck cannot be ignored.

Occasionally, the sky will turn grey.

I can't let myself to sink into dismay.
-04/29/2017
1. This poem is NOT an accusation or accolade of how Betaseron (interferon beta-1b) functions. It is merely an account of my own interactions with it. MS is so random that it is impossible to predict whether or not a medication will work. I am NOT against Betaseron.

No comments:

Post a Comment