Sunday, June 25, 2017

Therapy. . . again

     So, I am getting ready to start physical therapy again. Yahoo, sort of, I get to deal with the pain, the aches, and the unknown. . . the whole 'shuh bang'. I've taken this week to plan out what exactly I want to do with physical therapy. When I first was in PT, my doctor set the goals for me, but the previous time the therapist asked me what my goals were, and I had none. I honestly thought, "How can I know what therapy I need? I'm the cripple." Then, after some research, I realized that I need to take a more active role in my PT. So, here's my set of goals for PT this time around.

  • Work on, "Floor Transfer"
    When I fall, it is never a quick and easy rebound. If I am lucky enough to fall near a chair, couch, or my bed, then it'll only take a mere 15 minutes to get back to my feet. But, when I fall with only my walker nearby, I am at a loss of what steps I can take to get my steps back. On average, it takes me from 30 minutes to almost a full hour before I am back on my feet.
  • Work on using a 'full walker'
    Right now, I use a rollator: a walker with four wheels, hand brakes, and a chair. My particular rollator also doubles as a transport chair. I have a lot of trouble, however, throwing my weight to lift my legs because the rollator's seat gets in the way.
  • Develop a better way of 'walking'
    Right now, I am basically rambling through my trying to walk. I want to know if there's a better way to try and move.
  • Explore using a manual wheelchair
    I have also started to think that, with my recent falls, driving with hand controls, and my scooter having such a big turning radius that it's difficult to use inside most buildings, I should look at moving into a manual wheelchair for shorter 'walks'

No comments:

Post a Comment