Monday, January 08, 2018

Deliciously Vichyssoise

     In keeping with my attempt to lower the impact that I make on the ground, losing weight, I have embarked on a trial of going gluten free. Now, I am not severely going gluten free, as some have to do for health reasons (i.e., celiac disease). I am not going this extreme for two main reasons. First, I do not have Celiac Disease, so I do not have an aversion to gluten. Second, I know that if I try to go full blown, zero gluten I will: get bored, become frustrated, and then quit. But, I am going to try a gluten free recipe and share it along with any extrapolations I have come across or improvised.
     So, here is the first: Vichyssoise, or leek and potato soup. It can be a very simple or a highly complicated recipe, depending on how much of a stickler for following recipes you are.  Now, this might seem like it is very difficult, but there are some aspects that make it easier for those of us with limited mobility.

  • It only uses one pot. Since there is no grease to be drained, meats to be separated, or cooked things to add later, this entire recipe can be cooked in one big pot.
  • It is easy to supplement some the 'pricier' ingredients with just one simple one. See the notes in RED.
  • It tastes REALLY GOOD! - Fat guys know what tastes good. The proof is in the pudginess.

Ingredients

  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter

  • 1 1/2 pounds trimmed leeks (Clean and slice a leek) I also add an onion, sliced, for extra flavor.

  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste

  • 1 1/4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into eighths (any potato will work, but Yukon Golds are the best.)

  • 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth, or more as needed to adjust thickness

  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup creme fraiche
  • (to make it simpler, I just use 1-2 cups of buttermilk)

  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
  • Chopped fresh chives for garnish
  • *An added ingredient that I also use is good cheddar cheese, grated and stirred into the soup while hot.*

Directions


  1. Melt butter in soup pot over medium-high  heat. Add leeks and salt; cook until leeks begin to wilt. Reduce heat to medium or medium-low and cook until soft and almost paste like, 30 to 40 minutes.
  2. Place potatoes in the pot; add chicken broth. Adjust heat so mixture simmers slowly. Cook until potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes. Puree mixture with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender. Whisk in heavy cream and creme fraiche. Heat over medium heat. Add more salt, if needed, and cayenne pepper. Do not boil.
  3. Serve with a drizzle of creme fraiche and a sprinkle of chopped chives.
Here's a video of a chef that really follows the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment