Monday, January 01, 2018

New Year and New(ish) Blog


        So, here is my first attempt at a second shot. I recently read an interesting article in the National MS Society's magazine Momentum that deals with balance issues and how to help with them. Now, balance is one of my worst symptoms, and I know that I'm not alone in that. So, I thought that I'd give a brief summary and highlight, what to me are, the most important parts. 
     First, the article gives a very clear explanation of how easily MS can sabotage balance. Basically, since balance uses so many parts of one's CNS (central nervous system), and MS damages the CNS the chances of causing balance issues is very high. The article then explains how physical therapy can help, but that is up to the patient and a doctor, or therapist, to develop exercises that fit one's own balance issues. 
     Next it mentions a thing called, "Vestibular Rehabilitation," which seems that it might work, but, since it focuses more on inner ear complications with balance, would only work for a very small subset of patients with MS. It also briefly mentions using a device that is a type of treadmill that makes one feel lighter, the Alter-G.
     But, the most interesting part, as well as one that I am going to try to implement for myself, was to combine four different types of exercises: breathing, stretching, relaxation, alignment. I plan using these four, along with an already prepared regimen, set up by my physical therapist, to help me maintain and hopefully improve my current balancing issues.


     I am not going to sugar coat this.

It's going to be tough

But, I am going to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment