Monday, February 05, 2018

I am such a 'spaz'.

     Spasticity: a spastic state or condition; especially muscular hypertonicity with increased tendon reflexes. (Merriam Webster Online)

     Before this MesS became a part of my life, the word, "Spastic," only made me think of a cartoon character, nerdy gamers, and amped up tweakers. But, that view changed with my diagnosis. Yes, I still get a laugh over spasticity, but it usually comes at my own expense. For example, when my calf muscles and shins get spastic while I am sitting, my legs will 'bounce'. My four year old usually tries to dance along with the bass-like thumping that my heels make as they're slammed against the floor. 
     It can also be annoying. I have had my legs freeze mid step, sending me to the floor. At times my hand will enter, what is commonly called, "The Claw." When the claw hits, it is most often when I am trying to write, type, or even grab a glass or can. The result is usually a writing sample of the proverbial 'chicken scratch', a sentence that needed to be retyped several times, or a dropped drink. But, the most annoying aspect of it comes at night, when I am tired and trying to sleep. My legs will jump from a laying down position almost to a karate-like pose, often kicking my wife or launching me off of the bed. 
     In looking into spasticity, I discovered a wonderful article from the National Multiple Sclerosis Society's magazine Momentum. This article is a wonderful source about spasticity. The author covers examples, treatments, medications, therapies that help, and presents it all in clear and easily understood manner. She [Elinor Nauen] took a lot of the fears and worries had about spasticity. Here is a link to the article published in the 2010 issue of Momentum. If you would wish to read more about spasticity, then follow this link

No comments:

Post a Comment